♥ ♥ ♥ BECAUSE OF THE ENORMOUS SUPPORT MATTHEW’S PROJECT HAS RECEIVED, WE HAVE STARTED A FACEBOOK PAGE FOR THE SELFLESSNESS PROJECT. IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW HAS MADE CARDS, SHARED ON A BLOG OR WEBSITE, OR HAS HELPED SPREAD THE WORD IN ANY WAY, PLEASE VISIT, “LIKE”, AND TELL US ABOUT IT! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOU DO, AND FOR ALL YOU CONTINUE TO DO TO SPREAD THE LOVE – BOTH NEAR AND FAR. ♥ ♥ ♥
Matthew is my oldest child, my only son, and a living monument on resilience and strength of heart. He has always been one of the best things I have ever done with my life, and I never imagined that so many people would take up his plan to help other children. There are no words big enough for how truly grateful he and I are for the incredible support this idea has gotten. We’ve taken to calling it The Selflessness Project and in trying to teach my child about kindness for others, hundreds upon hundreds of you have taught our family about giving and love on the greatest level. Thank you just isn’t enough.
Every so often, Matthew and I check the numbers on his blog post, and just when we think they can’t possibly climb any higher – they do. In less than 48 hours:
- Matt’s blog post has had 1837 views
- The post has also been “Liked” 432 times on individual facebook profiles
- The links to the post have been viewed on This Heartmade Life’s facebook page 772 times
- The post has been emailed, posted to facebook, and shared on the internet more times than I can keep track of – and this doesn’t include the #of times it’s been reshared by friends of friends of friends
- People have written and promised support from all over Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Texas, Massachusetts, Kansas, Nevada, North Carolina, Tennessee and even Finland. I know this list doesn’t include many, many others.
- People have told us that they’ve shared Matthew’s project with their children, work, Church Bible study groups, Boys and Girls Clubs, pediatrician’s offices, Creative Design Teams, library story times, scrapbooking clubs, flickr groups, and even on their own blogs. The Shriners and Masonic Lodges in our area have offered to get involved and we are excited every time we hear about a new idea.
- You have left us the sweetest, most thoughtful comments, emails, and messages and the love in them brings me to tears.
You guys are incredible.
Never in a million years would I have thought that so many people would take an interest in my son and what he’s trying to do. Shriners Hospital is truly one of the best places on Earth and as a family, we are forever grateful for the care they continue to give Matthew and other kids like him. And as a mother, I am especially grateful. I have been with Matt through every up and down, for every consult, test, appointment, surgery, physical therapy session, and prosthetic fitting. And his strength and determination to keep going has never faltered (though I have to admit that mine has from time to time). I watched him go from a frustrated little boy in pain, to an amazing young man running the bases and playing tag with his friends. He really IS awesome and for so many more reasons than just this. He’s clever and bright, and the best big brother. He gives me random kisses every day and has impressed all of us with his artistic, comedic, and musical sides. (You should hear this kid play the cello!) Of course I think the world of him and it’s fantastically wonderful and humbling that so many other people are catching a glimpse of that as well.
We cannot say thank you enough. We started out trying to teach our children about kindnesss and you have all completely astonished us with yours. ♥ We can’t wait to start getting all your beautiful cards in the mail!
For those who need the information, Matthew is working to send encouraging handmade cards to children at Shriners Hospital – Twin Cities, MN. From veteran crafters and cardmakers, to doodles from your darling children – we’d love them all. Matt would like to personally deliver the cards shortly after Labor Day, so we’d like to have them all by September 8th. (Any cards that come after this will still be delivered!) Folks have asked if we would except blankets and gifts for the Shriners kids, and we absolutely will. See this post for details and card guidelines. Please send cards to:
Matthew – 702 East Blodgett Street, Marshfield, WI 54449
Thank you for your generosity, your kindness, and for showing us your heart.
♥, Ashley & Matthew